Friday, November 26, 2010

Hive boxes primed, ready for paint.

I spent a few hours in the shop this morning, getting the various Bee Hive components primed, and ready for paint.  Once I got a routine established, the painting went pretty quick.  I need to prime the bottom edges of all the boxes, and I will do that later today when the top edge has dried well.

Hive Boxes - The deep boxes are brood boxes.  These go on the bottom of the hive stack, and this is where the Queen hangs out, laying eggs to build the colony numbers with new Bees.  Each hive will have 2 deep brood boxes. 






We decided that rather than just the standard "flat" hive top, we would add a little pizazz to our hives, and build a "garden hive" style roof.  We plan to use FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panel) for the roofing material, and I have machined a nice piece of Cedar to cap the roof peak.  It will look nice when it is done, and I hope the Bees appreciate the extra work!





That's about it for now.  I hope to get the finish color on the boxes sometime before the weekend is out.  I will be working on the hive top first, because I want to see how that looks when I get it done.  More pictures later...........for now, it's time to help Angie start getting the Christmas Decorations out.........and up!  See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment