Sunday, November 14, 2010

Shop time! Building hive components.

After figuring up cost of components, coupled with shipping costs, I decided that I can build my own Bee Hive components and save some money.  With a Woodworking shop full of equipment, it makes sense and gives me some enjoyment at the same time.  It's a win-win!

I attached a few pictures of what I built this weekend.  I built 2 bottom boards.  These are the foundation of the Bee Hive, and the rest of the hive is built upon the bottom board.  The bottom board also serves as the entrance to the hive for the bees.


The box assembly I built is a "Medium Honey Super".  These boxes are stacked on top of the brood box, and this is where the bee colony will draw honeycomb, and fill that comb with honey.  This is also the portion of the hive where the beekeeper will harvest honey from.  In a good year, coupled with a very productive colony, a hive can have as many as 6 to 8 supers filled with honey.  The hive stack can end up being over 6 feet tall, and hold 200 lbs. or more of honey.  Not a bad summers work for a bunch of bugs!

 Below are the pictures of the Medium Super, and the Bottom Board.



No comments:

Post a Comment